Maths at Brierley Forest Primary and Nursery School
At Brierley, we use White Rose Mathematics to help use with our learning. Below is the expected journey that our learning will take this year but gaps in our knowledge due to lockdown may mean we will spend slightly longer on some units. You can also look at our knowledge organisers see a more in depth overview of each unit.
Take a closer look at some of the things we will be learning each term.
In Maths, we are continuing to tackle fractions. Including:
- Comparing and ordering fractions whose denominators are all multiples of the same number.
- Identifying, naming and writing equivalent fractions of a given fraction, represented visually - including tenths and hundredths.
- Recognising mixed numbers and improper fractions and converting from one form to the other. We will also write mathematical statements >1 as a mixed number [for example,2⁄5+4⁄5=6⁄5= 11⁄5].
- Adding and subtracting fractions with the same denominator and denominators that are multiples of the same number.
- Multiplying proper fractions and mixed numbers by whole numbers, supported by materials and diagrams.